Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Can Films Save the World?

I've been debating this question for the last few hours. I want to say yes AND no, but I'm having trouble finding examples why they can't.

Yes
I'm sure everyone has seen Super Size Me. Morgan Spurlock eats McDonald's everyday for 30 days. And if they offered the super size meal, which existed back then, he would take it. the super size meal was twice the large meal.
Halfway he started having issues, he started throwing up, he wanted to give up at one point. At the end of the period, he gained 24 pounds. After the release of Super Size Me, the super size meal was removed.


No
Like I said before, I'm having trouble figuring out why it can't.
The movie Spotlight tells the story of a small newspaper group who discover one of the Catholic Church's worst secrets: Priests molesting children in their parishes.
In fact, they uncovered over a hundred cases in Boston alone. The real eye opener was when they broke the story, the end of the film had a list of similar cases in the United States. Then the world. It was a huge list, roughly 6 text inserts worth, triple columned and single spaced.
The event the movie is based on happened 15 years ago. I can't do anything to help, but it opened my eyes to something more serious than just a couple of stories.





Then again, I could be more vigilant now that I know this is real. So my conclusion is: Yes. Films can change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment