Friday, November 18, 2016

Fairytales


One of my classmates in my speech class recently gave a persuasive speech about whether we should tell our kids fairytales or not.  I found this very interesting, because I had never considered that question.  Her speech was good and her arguments were strong, so it made me think.  She argued that telling fairytales to our kids will give them a false idea of reality, and ultimately their hopes will be let down.  I don’t disagree with this argument, but I think there are still ways to tell your kids fairytales and teach them to maintain a level head.  It’s important, all throughout parenting, to be an example to your children and maintaining a level head is one of the most valuable things a child could learn early on.  I think fairytales are a fun part of having a childhood.  Having something to believe in, no matter how unrealistic, plays into the innocence of being a child.  I want my kid to experience that innocence, but I’ll make sure they understand the difference between fantasy and reality.  Children need a healthy balance of facts and fiction, so neither should be completely ignored.  My classmate’s speech made me think about something I had never considered, so I hoped to do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment