Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Short Term 12

After reading the article, and watching the trailer, about Cretton's first project Short Term 12, it really struck me as to the creativity and process involved in film making. It kind of reminded me of how I write stories, taking experiences from my own life and then adapting those to the big screen. In a way I think these are the things that can really touch people if you do it right, because there's a personal connection that the writer can push through that he might not be able to if it was just a fiction story based off of something that wasn't from his actual life.

Now, that's not to say that fiction and fantasy can't be deeply touching. There are many works that resonate deeply with the readers, but I posit that this is because those works draw on the author or screenwriter's sense of life and his personal experiences, what he's been through, maybe people he's met, and more. These are the things that are very real and tangible for him, so he is able to put more into them and breathe life into the script, or on to the page. At least, that's how it seems to me, and that's how it is when I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment