Monday, November 14, 2016

Black Mirror: Nosedive Part 2

I wanted to jump off the last post by going into a deeper dialogue about media like Instagram and others like it. I'm not here to bash Instagram and just yell at a medium that really has not caused the issue I'm going to speak about. There are many people I know who use Instagram to just get attention, and I think that is somewhat reflected in this episode. Every interaction that Lacie has is involved with social media, to a point where she limits who she is in order to fit that social normal. Nosedive really brings into focus what some really make their lives to because of one social app. Lacie even faces losing rankings because she takes a kind gesture from someone who had a lower ranking than her. It's such an odd perception of that medium in particular, but I completely agree with  the detrimental state it causes if it goes unchecked. It's a sad and bitter life to live through an application, rather than just living who you are without social constraints. Sometimes I feel our society turns towards the world that is presented in Black Mirror without really thinking. We should not live through ratings on some app to feel great about ourselves, because that is not real satisfaction about oneself. I think from now on I'm going to take a page from Black Mirror and live to be me, and not live to be the person that I put on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment