Friday, November 18, 2016

Women in the Media

Even though we discussed women in media some time ago, I don't think there's ever a time where this subject won't be beneficial in some way or another. I'm not planning to enter this specific field, but any occupation where men determine the set standards, regulations, or in general, dictate the playing field, women will have a struggle. Now, some people get tired of hearing this debate--saying that women are simply angry for no reason, or argue that this discussion is tired and shouldn't continue to be brought up. However, when we talked about women in the media in class, it really hit a nerve in me. I wasn't angry and it didn't stir up previously dormant feminist views, but I think it gave me a new sense of what it might be like to be in any profession where men dominate.
Women simply view things differently. They bring something new to situations. Like I said, I'm not planning to go into this field, but my desired occupation is arguably one where men "might be more skilled" or "could get the job done better".
The discussion was interesting to hear. Honestly, it seems that even in this classroom the males dominate the conversation. So, for once, it was intriguing to hear the young women in the classroom speak. It was even said that maybe the women should speak more often because they bring something new to the table. I think that this might have been a small scale version of what society could be like if women entered into the workplace with a little more ease than we've previously known.
It was very encouraging to hear the women of the classroom speak without fear of getting the answer right or perhaps fear of the correct interpretation. In this case there was really only the one interpretation that was desired to hear at the time--ours, the women's. This was quite the refreshing change and it was wonderful to witness. I think that it only encouraged everyone to contribute equally because there is value in the mixed interpretations as a whole. I was very encouraged by this discussion in class--more than I thought I would be. I honestly think it was one of the better discussions held in the classroom because it included so many different variables and interpretations.


No comments:

Post a Comment