Thursday, November 17, 2016

Election Afterthoughts: Part 3

I view the Bible as a guidebook that directs our paths and teaches us how to act. So I turned to it when looking for ways I can better my treatment of others in this time of division in America. Micah 6:8 is a verse I’ve heard many times before, but reading multiple different translations helped drive the message home for me so I thought I’d share a couple of them with you.

The Message:
“God’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don’t take yourself too seriously — instead, take God seriously.”

NIV:
“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

NLV:
“Oh man, He has told you what is good. What does the Lord ask of you but to do what is fair and to love kindness, and to walk without pride with your God?”


Maybe instead of pouting about the election any further we should focus on loving people well, growing closer to Christ, and pursuing academic excellence. Settling for the world’s standards will help no one. We should be who we want the world to be. We should fulfill our purpose of being salt and light. We should shine bright for all made in the image of our Maker. Even the ones we don't understand.

3 comments: