Monday, November 21, 2016

Undertale -- Kill or Be Killed, or not?

Last year, a very wonderful game known as Undertale was released by Toby Fox. The game and it's outcome is purely determined on your choices in regards to the monsters you encounter. Let's begin with the game's premise and its beginning. The game opens with an introduction: both humans and monsters ruled the world. That is, until they raged war against one another, the humans victorious. The humans sealed the monsters underground with magic of some sort, creating a barrier between the underground and surface. However, legends say that those that climb the famed "Mt. Ebott" never return. The opening depicts a child climbing up the mountain and falling down into the underground. You name the fallen human and you find yourself, well, fallen down. You are greeted by a talking flower known as Flowey, who shows you how the game's combat system works, and attempts to kill you. If you fell for his trap, he mocks you, stating that "In this world, it's kill or BE killed." This was the first hint I had that this game was about to become deeper than most games I had played in my lifetime. My first thought was "If I am supposed to kill in order to not be killed, I would be considered weak if I did not kill at all," and was instantly reminded of my childhood, constantly conscious about my physical weakness. Flowey brings up a good point, though. If you leave yourself vulnerable, you get hurt. So close yourself off and distance yourself, it's the only way to avoid being pained in this world. He's not wrong. As the game constantly presents the choice to kill anyone in your path, it also stresses that sometimes it is worth being hurt, especially when it comes to the sacrifices one must make as a person and befriending others, trusting them. You have the choice to do what you can to prove Flowey wrong in his worldview: "Kill or be killed."
Overall, Undertale holds a special place in my heart as it helped me through quite a dark time about a year ago. The music is wonderful and moving, the characters make you laugh and even cry. Their humor and yet, their humanity is rather admirable. Undertale is definitely not a game that is easily forgotten, and I would highly recommend it.

1 comment: