Monday, November 21, 2016

"Undertale" by Toby Fox

One of the most moving songs I have ever heard in my entire life has to be what I consider to be the "main theme" of Undertale, which happens to have the name "Undertale." I first listened to this song before I encountered it in the course of the game's story line when a friend of mine played the first few seconds of the song on YouTube when looking through a playlist of music videos to listen to. The soft guitar at the beginning make me envision a campfire, shortly before another part of the melody begins. Upon that point, I can imagine myself talking a long walk, rain beginning to fall. This song easily became my favorite song in the soundtrack due to how moving it was to listen to all the way through, constantly building up to what seems to express a very difficult choice or burden on one's heart. This song became more prominent out of the pieces I listened to on my trips to class and back last year as I began to worry for the life of my former friend, as she kept mentioning suicide. I was scared for her. I could easily envision what it would be like without her there, having taken her own life. As her significant other, I felt responsible for her decision to remain living. This portion of my life is part of the reason why Undertale holds such a place in my heart. It became relevant to me in such a dark time. As of January, the relationship was broken off, and all ties were broken. I believe "Undertale" can clearly express, to me, at least, the emotion and distress that comes with feeling the burden of another person's life. I hope you all can appreciate this song for how moving it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment