Thursday, November 17, 2016

More of who I am:




I was going to do a post about the new comedy “Speechless” on ABC which stars a teenager with cerebral palsy. What I want to do now is not talk about a character who is played by an actor with cerebral palsy but I want to tell you about my experience with it.

I was born with cerebral palsy on January 16, 1998. The significance of this date I’ll get to a little later. I was born premature. The doctors/ in charge of my birth told my parents that I should be aborted. They went along with it… no no they didn’t. I’m here because they made the correct decision. The reason the doctors wanted me aborted was because they thought I wasn’t going to live past 2. I’m 18 now.

Yes, life has been hard. My family never has gotten government help so it’s been hard on our finances. I went to a public-school system throughout my whole life. With a few minor tweaks to the doors and different things to make it more handicap accessible to everyone not just me we got through that stage. My life is definitely not a sitcom, sometimes I feel like it is with what my family and I get into. It makes for a lot of great stories.

I want to finish off this post with a quote:

“Questions don’t hurt, Ignorance does”- Geri Jewell on “The Facts of Life” 1980’s

And also want to invite you to ask me questions. No question is a bad question unless you already know the answer.

This is an old picture of me at Shriner's Hospital for Children in Chicago. (I'm still rocking those knee high socks               till this day)

2 comments: