Saturday, November 19, 2016

Sarabande (Symphony Version) - A Dance of Life

This song, a remastered version of a song by Erik "Jit" Scheele, was a very emotional and inspirational piece of music for me this past spring. As I was browsing Homestuck's mostly unused music library, I came across this song and a huge host of emotions flowed through me. I thought of how far I had come in the nineteen(at the time) years I have been living. It was strange to me, how it all went so fast, and yet the intensity of emotions I felt through the overflow of memories into my consciousness made me proud of being alive. The friends I met, the stories I have thought through, the trials I have endured, they all came to mind as I listened to this song. I cried, I cried both tears of joy and tears of sadness. Tears of thankful joy I cried for the friends I had met in the course of my life, how awesome it was that we all managed to come this far. I shed tears of sadness for the fact that I am not ready for this era of my life to end. I am not ready for my friends to go off on their own, building their own future as I build my own. It seems like a roller coaster of joy and sadness, reflecting on everything that has ever happened in my life. I found that a sarabande was a slow dance, one that was often viewed as controversial, and I found it easy to relate life to this. Because of this song and a project in my Creative Writing course, I began composing a story I called Sarabande of Life. I called it this not only as a reference to this song, but because life really is a dance, one filled with controversy, with struggle and pain, but also joy and fulfillment.

No comments:

Post a Comment