Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Same Old Holiday Cheer

It's that time of year again. Commercially Christmas began a month ago; that's right in October.

It's time for Christmas trees, covered in rat &#!%, listening to Tony Bennett, Michael Bublé, and Mariah Carey for the um-teenth time, and give people we hate gifts we could use. I am done with commercial Christmas spirit.
I don't want to be Charlie Brown with this, but like Chris Rock said in a stand-up routine, we have the Christmas SEASON. The Big Box Stores are competing excellent deals on not-so excellent "stocking stuffers." Our childhood favorite Christmas shorts are on TV AGAIN. Unnecessary, but semi-delicious, cooking goes on in the kitchen.
I'm not super religious, but can we just and think about why we really celebrate? If there should be an ultimate modern day Christmas film, there should be one where the town goes through a power-failure during Christmas and they just stop and look around.
I used to like Christmas. It's not my favorite holiday but I had good memories. But as I got older I start to realize how much the Christmas spirit is guided by the commercial world. A radio station close to my home has the '80s Weekend, but at Christmastime, is the Christmas Weekend. Five years ago it went to Christmas music all the time two weeks before Christmas. Then three years ago, Christmas music starts playing immediately all the time after Thanksgiving.
This applies to all films, but you get older you actually start listening to the dialogue, and realize hidden dirty jokes in family friendly films. I recently watched Frosty Returns, and, there are no adult jokes in this, I realized how unrealistic Holly was able to sway the town with the magic of snow so quickly. Three minutes is all it took. Yeah it's a 30 minute short, but it's unrealistic.
I was also introduced to Robbie the Reindeer, voiced by Ben Stiller (figures), a stop motion short I believe is meant for adults because of the content.

I think we should just stop. Just stop. Stop with all the unnecessary cheer and just be happy with the true reason of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment