Sunday, December 11, 2016

Switchfoot: Nothing Is Sound

One of the most basic albums that I grew up with as a child was Nothing Is Sound by Switchfoot.

Growing up in the era just before iTunes, music was either whatever was on the radio, whatever CDs you had, or whatever people were actually physically playing. My dad was and is a musician so he has always had music be an integral part of our lives. For me, music has always been one of the best parts of my life as I grew up with my dad always playing guitar or piano at home and always shuttling me back and forth to and from our church band rehearsals.

One of the funniest stories that I've heard about myself growing up was my mom and dad taking me to a park when I was a little kid and swinging with me. The swing was making a squeaking sound, and I wasn't about 2 years old and matched pitch with it right away. It was then that my dad assumed that I had a gift of music. Of course, growing up with a dad like mine helps.

Growing up I taught myself piano with a little help from my dad at a young age. Guitar was something that I never really picked up, but was something that I was always familiar with. I now can play piano, ukulele, violin, viola, cello, bass guitar, mandolin, mandola, and a few others.

But this album was one that was influential to me between the ages of 4-7, and then again when I grew up and began listening to music on an iPod. It is a more alternative rock than I remembered, because growing up you just assume that whatever you're listening to is normal. However, the bassist and the lead singer/guitarist are exceptionally skilled. The lead singer, Jon Foreman, has also been influential to me as he writes tons of softer music that is designed to be more worshipful and meditative. I one day aspire to be able to write like him and my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment