Sunday, December 11, 2016

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - Part 1

I have to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is.

Yes, I'm talking about Jar Jar Binks. I understand moviegoers outrage slightly when they had the first trilogy to gawk at and imagine what it would be like to live in the world of Star Wars. But really, I don't see the problem with the prequels.

I understand a few points of conflict that I will talk about in some of the coming blogs, but honestly, what is the problem with a character like Jar Jar?

My deal is this: George Lucas created Star Wars. It was his. I can understand people getting frustrated with some of the angst that young Anakin brings to the table in the first two movies, along with some of the possibly inappropriate romances because of age, but still, I don't see too much of a problem with the plots of any of the prequels.

Sure, the first movie is very dialogue driven, and much of the dialogue isn't very good even at that, but much of the action is still very good. Setting up Chancelor Palpatine as the overarching villain for the entire story? Genius. Having it take place at the galactic scale? Awesome. Having a droid army seen for the first time through mass computer generation? I always loved it as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment