Sunday, December 11, 2016

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - Part 2

Again, I don't hate the prequels. Not at all. Rather, I think that they were very entertaining. Perhaps part of the problem is that I grew up watching them as a kid where I assumed everything was well done, but I honestly don't think that as a production they were poorly done.

Again, I will acknowledge that the dialogue can seem very unnatural, but I like the honesty that George Lucas brings to the table in The Phantom Menace.

Anakin and Padme fall in love. Is it inappropriate that she goes from a mother figure to Anakin's lover? I don't necessarily think so. To be fair, it isn't entirely unheard of. Boys can grow up to find older women attractive, especially if they are close to them. To Anakin's credit, he was taken by Jedi and raised without much other contact from his mother, so his dealings with women aren't exactly normal. Also, he clearly doesn't have much contact with women on a regular basis, so it makes sense in Attack of the Clones that he tells her he has thought about her every day. Weird? Sure. Wrong or inappropriate in a movie? I don't think so. Who says things have to always be ideal in movies. President Roosevelt had to deal with paralysis. A great president rolled around in a wheelchair and also had polio. Things are not always perfect in the real world, so why should they be in movies all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment