Sunday, December 11, 2016

Gangsta' Rappers speaking their Faith Part 2

The next I can think of was Puff Daddy. See Puff Daddy hated religion until the death of Biggie Smalls, A.k.a. The Notorious B.I.G, A.k.a. Christopher Wallace. He left the Rap scene for 2 years after Biggies death, in order to find what he was doing with his life. Puff reemerged with the album "Forever", a testimony to how God helped him get out of spiraling depression. Specifically "Best Friend" which explains his relationship with God,

"Been two and a half years since my man Big passed
Been two and a half years since my world crashed
I needed help, God gave me the power
Gave me the strength to go face to face with my darkest hour
Looked me in the eyes and ask "What you doing unhappy?"
"Don't you know why I'm here?" and started shooting at me
Back to the wall, is my faith gonna play out
Never wavered once, gave me no way out
Your time to die, don't even stress the date
You're coming with me, your soul I'm next to take
I told him "I'm too much blessed with faith"
"And living for Christ" and then he said "Manifest the great"
All of a sudden, what I'm remembering
Ground started to shake, everything trembling
The power of the truth was shooting through my Timberlands
Here was my Lord Jesus Christ, my best friend again, come on"


And that was only the second verse. This is one of the boldest things a thug rapper has done in as far as testimony. It's almost taboo to be this blunt about faith in the Gangsta Rap world.
This opened the door for future rappers to do the same. Rappers such as Kendrick Lamar, B.o.B. (sadly),and most recently and surprisingly J Cole on his new album that came out last week.

1 comment: