Sunday, December 11, 2016

Pandora vs. Spotify vs. Apple Music

I'm a music guy through and through. So Pandora annoys the crap out of me. Spotify, on the other hand, is terrible in my opinion if you don't know what music to listen to. Oh joy.

For me, Pandora is the reason I listen to as many different kinds of music that I do. I had a Pandora station a while ago and found a band called Phoenix. From there, everything changed.

I think that I could track, from my 8th grade year, everything that I listened to in each season of my life up until this point. Yeah, everything is that specific. For example, winter of 8th grade? Moonlit Sailor and Sigur Ros. Summer of my sophomore year? Twenty One Pilots, specifically Holding On to You. To me, music is an extension of my emotions. No, I'm not overly sappy, but at the same time I listen to music almost all the time regardless of what I'm doing.

Pandora was one of the coolest things that ever happened to me recently in that the Music Genome Project has done such a good job of mapping out the qualities of certain bands and songs that it really does do a great job of giving you a variety of music to listen to. The frustrating thing? What if I want a specific song?

Cue Spotify. Everyone already knows everything about Spotify, but still, why so many adds. And the majority of my listening comes from not being connected to the internet. So no offline music for me. So usually no music through Spotify.

Cue Apple Music. Yes there are way too many mixed reviews about this, but for me it's like the prequels of Star Wars. Everyone hates on them, but I don't see why too much. The same goes for Apple Music. Especially since it works cross platform so well (and the small fact that I don't have to pay for it since my dad does on a family plan).

No comments:

Post a Comment