Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Book of Bad Poetry

Whenever I have a moment of despairing or a very good thought, I either draw it out or write it down. Most of my writings are in this small leather book that I bought at the Printer's Row Literature Festival in Chicago about two years ago. It didn't get much use until I finally got the idea to write my thoughts in it. The writing in there is deeply personal, so I don't share much of it with anyone. Another reason I don't share it is because a lot of the poetry is very much sub-par. I didn't end up calling it "The Book of Bad Poetry" for nothing!

For the sake of this blog, however, I will share one.

The Pledge -- 5/4/16

"I pledge allegiance..."
They stand to listen.
"...to the flag..."
Those familiar stars and stripes.
"...of the United States of America."
The throbbing of their blood blister comes to the forefront.
"...And to the republic..."
A tree moves outside.
"...for which it stands, one nation..."
Their sight is averted, white flowers bob up and down in the rain.
"...under God..."
Were they so sure of this?
"...indivisible..."
Political parties.
"...with liberty and justice for all."
Yeah, right.

The little book itself! So small, so cute, so full of teenage angst.

No comments:

Post a Comment