Saturday, October 22, 2016

Read this or I'll get naked in class

Now that I have your attention, I would like to talk about a trend in media I've noticed growing a lot in the last few years, particularly on social media: shock value. Shock value is kind of like what I did with the title of the post.  I threatened to get naked in class unless my blog was read. Even though some of you would like to see that,  it would still be pretty crazy. In media people do this all the time, especially with humor. Comedians it seems like are in a race to see who can make the most edgy jokes involving pretty much anything in order to get a shock reaction. And that's all it is, it's not usually funny at all. I ranted about SpongeBob in a blog before this one and that show does that a lot even though it's a kids show and won't go to the level comedians go to. SpongeBob often just throws  in random gore like Squidward ripping his whole eyebrow off or his foot getting absolutely destroyed my moving a couch on it. Neither of those scenes were funny at all, they are just meant to invoke a sharp reaction. A lot of meme pages on facebook are guilty of this too, making jokes about  the holocaust or 9/11 to get a shock laugh. Pretty much nothing offends me, and this doesn't either, but I would imagine it would be to some people.  There is an easy solution to this however. Comedians, write well constructed jokes that make sense and are funny, and don't rely on shock value to entertain your audience, or you'll be shocked when nobody wants to listen to you anymore.      

No comments:

Post a Comment