Saturday, October 22, 2016

It's My Body

Here's just a quick background about me. I have 3 tattoos and I am planning on getting 10 more. Yes 10 more. I'm not saying that to have a shock value or to be different. I have spent years now knowing and sometimes dwelling on the permanent art that I will and have put on my body.

When people see my tattoos they always ask, "what do they mean", "what is that", "do you have more", "are you getting more". Once I answer the questions in the quickest fashion that I can. It comes down to whether they look me in the eye and give me their approval or not. And most of the time, sadly, people disapprove. Not just adults but people around me. People I live with.

And if say I gain the approval for the 3 I have, once I say 10 more. The shame and disgust rains down. Cause what people think, and what I know, are two very different things. 10 doesn't mean a giant sleeve on my arm. It doesn't mean my face will have words written across it. It doesn't mean, they change ME, just my appearance.

10 is not a permanent number. When I respond, I do it with the same words, "I am planning". Future tense. Changeable, not permanent.

Permanent art. That is what I call it. That is what it is. It is beautiful....TO ME.

This is my theory. My opinion. We as humans, cannot point to something and say this is the permeant standard for beauty. Because we as humans do not think the same. I will point at the art on my arm and say "pretty" you may point and say "disappointed". It is an opinion.

I'm not defending the body art that people openly say was a mistake. Or the art with absolutely no meaning behind it. I'm standing up for those with a story and who express that story through art.

No comments:

Post a Comment