Sunday, September 25, 2016

Middletown


First, I have to say thanks to the nice lady who gave me sixty-five cents for my ticket so I could get in to see the play. If you haven't gone yet, student tickets are $5.65, not just $5. So when I told someone that I was going to see Middletown, their response was: "You may or may not feel like you just wasted two hours of your life." The first thing I noticed was that the dialogue, most of it anyway, is not the typical conversation that you hear in plays, or anywhere else for that matter. They sit around and casually discuss philosophy: life, death, being normal, the vastness time and space, loneliness and it all revolves around the question of what does it all mean? And I don't think that this play was meant to provide an answer, just to raise the question. In a world where so many people live and die, how do our lives matter at all? In a world of "is, was and will be," how do we make anything stick? One of the characters says: "I think we're born with questions and the world is the answer." Maybe there are no complete answers, just questions. And how we ask and answer the question is the answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment