Friday, September 23, 2016

Hey Ya: Deeper Meaning

Its easy to pass off most pop music as shallow and meaningless only made for dancing to in clubs and to make money. This is how I thought of the song Hey Ya by Outkast until recently. This changed when I decided to listen to the lyrics of this song which are actually pretty depressing. In fact, what made me listen to the lyrics was a line that says "y'all don't wanna hear me, y'all just wanna dance.'' And what I found was that a song mostly played at parties when people are to drunk to know who they are is actually about two people losing their passion for their relationship. The lyrics '' Thank god for mom and dad for sticking together because we don't know how" and "Why are we still in denial when we know we're not happy here" are the biggest clues. This is certainly not what I expected from this song. It just goes to show, even though the majority of pop songs are about booty and cash, a few pop artists still have enough of a soul left to write songs that have actual meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment