Thursday, September 29, 2016

Footloose

The other day my girlfriend and I watched the 1984 film of Footloose. As it was our first time ever watching the movie, I was awe stricken at how a small town’s church could literally run the entire town. Even just the fact that the church viewed dancing and rock and roll music as a form of sin was dumbfounding. I couldn’t even begin to imagine a town in which you couldn’t dance, without getting in legal trouble.

Now, looking at the situation a little closer I see how the church got control of the town. However, to me that does not justify making it illegal for kids to go out dance at a school function. The fact that these kids have to go across county lines to have a party where they can just be themselves and let loose, and forget about everything for one night is just unbelievable. People should be able to go out and have fun and just be themselves. The idea of trying to conform an entire town to the beliefs on a few, by force, just enrages me. I mean what happened to the whole belief that every person is their own individual self? If we aren’t free to be ourselves then we are being shaped by the laws that were made to protect us.
Image result for footloose 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment