Wednesday, December 7, 2016

You're Not Promised Tomorrow (My Rant about Life and College)


Before college, I was a loser. My friends are going to look at this post and tell me the complete opposite, but they have not known me my entire life. When posting my first blog post onto the Intro to DMA blogger website, I came in feeling like hot stuff. Four months have passed on and now it is only apparent to me how much stuff I was not aware of. And with these past ninety-seven days, I am confident enough to believe that it is true.....I was a loser.
This summer was spent at a workplace called, "Tippecanoe River State Park." The hours were reasonable, staff was crazy yet lovable, and most of all some money was filled in my bank account/wallet. Our boss told us to bring a book to work because on most days, nothing huge would happen at the park. As a gate attendant and social media addict, I played on my phone almost for the entire eight-hour shift. Sure there were times where paperwork and nature came to my attention, but being a gatekeeper was not exactly the biggest position in life. During shifts, all the sitting around made me wonder if in twenty years, my passion would become my career and I would end up becoming one of those single forty-year-olds with a crooked back and lost future. I was honestly...depressed.
Then college at Huntington University came around the corner and my God has it been the best experience of my life. By, "best experience" I do not mean an enjoyable or melancholic one, but an experience that has taught me about what comes next after what we think is the end of our lives. HU gave me new friends that have come and gone, professors who have either been too realistic or awesome and a woman who brightens up my day every time I even glance at her. If this is what my life has come to be...it's safe to say that I have nothing to complain about. I'M TYPING ON A MAC BOOK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. But these gifts will not always be present in my life, however.
As a film production major, learning about cinematography, writing, set coordination, and movies, in general, has given me an idea about why my interest became an interest. But the biggest factor about life that I still can not master goes to people. Being the college students we are, we all get this enjoyment and connection when someone else admits to not starting a paper the day before it's due since we have done exactly the same. One day you will be laughing with someone until your face turns purple and the next week that person acts like you don't exist. College has taught me how we are human beings, not human doings. About time right?
What I am trying to say is that you're not promised tomorrow. God gifts you with life and life offers you another chance to seize the day. Set aside time for your loved ones, make room to improve on your personal development, give God all the glory and praise, initiate your homework, and look back on previous days to learn from your mistakes. Before we even blink, time will be out of our reach. When something bad happens to you, turn around and kick in the face to gather the good out of every situation. Improvement in our blood, we just give up on it too easily. Thank you, if you made it this far on my rant about life. I am a weirdo after all. For the person reading this, I wish you nothing but luck in life. It takes over twenty muscles to smile, but only a true feeling to keep things natural. (:

Rank: CSG


1 comment: