Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Not so "Fantastic", Part 2 (No Spoilers)

As I brought up in part 1, the magical creatures we see in this film are incredible and possess a lot of depth to them, however the characters have much to be desired.

Finally, I felt that the romance in this film was lacking. Tina shows feelings for Newt throughout the entire movie, but we never see him show an interest in her. Instead, he awkwardly avoids her or pretends to ignore her when she glances at him. So, at the end of the film (I don’t feel like this really a spoiler but you can skip this if you want to) when they finally do kiss and get together, it is both unexpectedly and predictable. Because of her obvious hidden feelings for him, it wouldn’t make sense for the filmmakers to sweep this under the rug and ignore it. However, prior to this point, Newt (who we know had pain relating to relationships in the past) has seemed more awkward than conflicted, more innocent than pained.

Now, I know for certain I’ve ticked some of you (if not all of you) off. Don’t get me wrong, this movie isn’t terrible. I view it as okay, and I don’t regret watching it. However, I’ve heard nothing but praises for this film and people telling me how awesome it was. For those of you that enjoy “Fantastic Beasts”, that’s awesome! It is an entertaining film, and both the creatures and sequences of magical warfare were very well done, with brilliant visual effects. 


Like I said, I’m just one guy with his own opinion. At the end of the day, it all comes down to your own personal opinion of a film, and that’s how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment