Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Not so "Fantastic", Part 1 (No Spoilers)

Rating: 5/10

If you ask me, the biggest problem with “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” is the lack of intrigue. For me, there wasn’t anything about this film–the world of the film, the characters populating it, or the story–that lured me in.

Now, before I go any further, I will establish that this is all my opinion, and that I myself am a Harry Potter fan. I have read all of the books and seen all the movies: I’m not just some random fellow.


No matter how many people have told me why they love “Fantastic Beasts” so much, I can’t for the life of me see what is so entrancing. The characters, for instance, lack depth and idiosyncrasy. Newt Scamander, the “awkward and timid” character, shares almost every scene with Tina, who is every bit of awkward and timid as he is. Dan Folger does provide a breath of fresh air in this department as Kowalski, a non-magical person (called a “No-Maj” in the movie), but his character is more or less a vessel to ask questions and provide comic relief. It was fun to watch his character, I just felt that more could have been added.

No comments:

Post a Comment