Tuesday, December 6, 2016

A Reason to Live, pt. 2

So... suicide. Fun topic. Fun experience. Ah... where to start? When I was 12, I became aware of my own mortality and overly aware of how I could take my own life. Let me tell you, as a preteen, that's an incredibly scary thought to have running through your head. I'd heard of depressed people dealing with suicidal thoughts, but there wasn't anything wrong with me. I was terrified, so I told my parents about what I was thinking, but they seemed to brush it off like I could handle it. I spent years avoiding sharp objects as much as I could, and when I finally overcame that obstacle, I was so happy and confident in myself.

Sadly, that's not the end of the story. The previous challenge was a small hill compared to the mountain range to come. Over time, my confidence faded into an apathetic depression with peaks of anxiety. I had very few friends in the time before and the following period, which was through middle and high school. On top of that, I had my nose shoved into the Bible on the daily, reading it not because I wanted to, but because I had to get a good grade in Bible class. No one in my private school cared, and even when I caught attention by writing a testimony filled with sorrow and uncertainty for the future for the aforementioned class, I don't even know if the school sincerely cared. After I switched to public school, sought counseling, and was finally around people I cared about, things got a little better.

Alas, a change of atmosphere can only change so much. I still am affected by anxiety and suicidal thoughts, but now I can clearly see I have reasons to keep going. My family, friends, art, and experiences that have happened or are going to happen are my reasons to live, and I've never been more certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment