Saturday, October 15, 2016

Ian Thomas Introduction


Hello all, my name is Ian Thomas. Yes, it’s October 15th, and yes, I’m posting my first blog post.
I’m from Indianapolis and I love my city, I also have a huge thing for maps – so here’s a map of Indianapolis.  


Despite having no background in farming, I’m here at Huntington to study agriculture with a focus in missions and ministry. I’ve been mowing lawns since I was thirteen, which grew into a general landscaping business in my neighborhood, which at its height employed five other people seasonally. One day, I was transplanting some ornamental grass for a client and at the end of the day, I thought to myself,

“I just got paid to play in the dirt all day… Is this what farmers do? Because I kind of like this.”

Since then I’ve been researching, reading, experimenting, and taking any opportunity I can get to gain experience. That’s how the city boy became interested in farming.

Spraying thistle on a farm in Northern Indiana
in the summer of 2015

To be completely honest with you all, knowing this class is an art credit, I fully expected Intro to DMA to be an introduction to making digital media arts. However, while I’m disappointed that I won’t be learning new creative skills, I’m happy to have the opportunity to consume and discuss media in a community of creators.

No comments:

Post a Comment