Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Sand Castle

After watching the Sand Castle, I was convinced that I was watching a different kind of creation story. While the main character seems to play a role like God, they also remind me of Adam, intended to become a steward of the land. As the main character was bringing the sand creatures to life, I kept hoping that another creature like him would be brought to life, his "Eve" counterpart. However, now that I think about it, this film seems to depict an ideal creation. In this creation, the only "problem" that occurs is the sandstorm and the occasional misbehaving creature. There was no sin in this creation, for there was no anger, no hatred; there was only teamwork and communion.
But I suppose the question must be raised, if there were no "humans" (like there are in our creation today) in the Sand Castle, was that the reason that nothing really went wrong? Did this "God" make the animals sentient, or did they just choose to be obedient over the allure of autonomy? Overall, the Sand Castle was a very interesting short film depicting something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment