Saturday, October 1, 2016

R-Ratings: Part Three

Well here we are, the end of the line. Hopefully everything up to this point hasn’t been just ramblings. Now then, anyone who is at this point has likely read parts one and two and were interested because I have a point or I don’t and look like a jackass. Maybe both.
Possible picture of me.




Anyway, as stated in part one the handbook never says R-rated movies can’t be owned and viewed on campus, just to be sensitive to those around you. In fact, combing through the movies in Becker Hall will lead to identification of several R-rated movies like Akira or Argo. Part two of these blogs talked about the movie Kingpin and provided an example of what’s wrong with the rating system.


What do the two things have to do with each other? Did you know you can watch any movie if you’re seventeen and over according to the rating system website? Why? Because you can make your own decisions about what you watch at that point. The entertainment you take in, you take in. That’s why there’s no actual rule against having R-rated movies on campus or watching them, because most of us are seventeen or over and by the rating system’s own guidelines, able to watch the movies we want to watch. 



Now then, these posts have obviously been my opinion on the subject with supporting evidence I’ve found. Does that mean I’m right? Of course not. Does it mean I’m wrong? Again, of course not. I’m just one side to this who didn’t give out very much evidence. To really understand this sort of stuff further research would help advance the topic. In the end, the decision is up to you to find out what you believe is right because you believe it’s right, not because I or the university say its right.

No comments:

Post a Comment