Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Old News- Bunny

Some time ago, we watched a short film called Bunny. You know which one that was, the one with all the moths and the old rabbit lady. It may have been new to some of you, but I had seen this short feature before.

As a kid, Ice Age was one of my favorite movies, and was the first one I saw in theaters. My family had bought the DVD of the film and Lord knows how many times I watched it. In the bonus features disc, the short Bunny was on there, and I enjoyed it, not understanding the meaning. I pretty much just liked the design on the moths, what with their cute, fat, fuzzy bodies (I still like the moths).

Watching it again in class gave me warm fuzzies in my heart because of the nostalgia, but as I'm much older than when I first saw it, I understood why that specific moth was bothering the rabbit lady. I'm not gonna lie, I cried in class and was a bit embarrassed by doing that. It was moving to me to finally understand what was going on. That moment of magic for me lasted until we talked over it, and those who volunteered their opinions delivered them so dryly and analytically that it sucked the emotion out of the atmosphere. It may just be me, who is naturally quite empathetic and feels very deeply, but I found the almost immediate removal of feelings to be disgraceful to the art form.

I wonder why we are so obsessed with finding meaning right off the bat. It's more satisfying and more of a eureka moment when we FINALLY get was something was trying to tell us. Then again, we're all different, and Bunny is still a precious, quirky, moving film.

No comments:

Post a Comment