Sunday, October 2, 2016

Sully - Hero or Fraud

I recently went to see the movie Sully in theaters which I would highly recommend to anyone.  I walked into the movie theater not knowing much information at all about the crash or even what caused it.  This movie really opened up my eyes as to what a real life hero looks like and also may feel like.  It began by Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger waking up to a frightening plane crash in New York City which we all know never actually happened.  The movie then proceeded to depict the actual situation of the plane crash and everything that transpired leading up to boarding Flight 1549.  I never knew that a flock of birds could damage a plane's engines so badly and was shocked at how calmly the pilot handled the situation.  The most inspiring part to me is how during the whole time that he was plummeting towards his imminent death, he was focused on all of his passengers' safety as well as his flight attendants.  As a hero is defined at least, I believe that Sully's qualities and the way that he handled the crash is what made him a hero not just landing the plane safely in the Hudson River with no one harmed.  The film really got into the mind of what Sully must have truly been going through with the publicity of him being depicted as a hero yet his job at stake with the NTSB not believing that there was no alternative way to land safely.  Overall, the film showed me that just because we label a person a hero, he may not feel like one.  I think Sully and every human soul aboard that aircraft was the hero and nobody should be mistaken as a fraud.
Image result for sully

No comments:

Post a Comment